08 December 2006

My honey's getting drunk!

















People in Sopot seem to forget about their beach for the winter time. So now I'm stealing my moments of being the only proprietor of one of the most charming sand stretches on the Polish coast. I run along the waterline infusing my eyes with bright sapphire of the sea and inhaling the chilly air. Then I let my body be swallowed by the hungry waves - what in these temperatures literally takes my breath away.

When I come home I can still smell the breeze in my hair and feel the salt on my skin - and that's like heaven. But I also get these horrible freezing cold in my backbone and believe me - hot tea is not enough here...






















So I reach for Krupnik. The name can be misleading as it's usually used for describing a typical Polish soup with grains and veggies. However, for people who have once tasted the honey liquer I'm thinking of, the soup could not exist at all...

As you can read on the label, it's made of the best bee honey, spices and aromatic herbs according to some specially guarded old recipes dating back to 17th century.

















Poland is a real kingdom of outstanding varities of honey made from acacia, lilac, buckwheat, pine, linden, to name the most renowned ones.

When we were children, my brother and I were having thick sandwiches of dark rye bread, home-made cottage cheese and heavy layer of golden honey for winter breakfasts. I always remember that delicacy whenever I put a honey mask on my lips.

















Anyway , Krupnik is sweet, strong and really heating. I became addicted to its magical powers when I was 15 and spent one rainy and very cold summer on a canoe camp.

This year I decided to make my own one! I've searched through available recipes and made my own variation using wonderful acacia honey, spirit, orange and lemon zest, ginger, pepper, juniper, nutmeg and espresso. The mixture had its rest for 3 months and then knocked us down! Mighty strong and delicious, as my friends said.























Now that we'are planning our snowboarding Xmass expedition I was already told I wouldn't be let into the car unless I have a reasonable bottle with me. I'll think twice before I start making my own wine...

8 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

amazing! is it really sweet? Honey in Australia has interesting taste. A lot is made form the flowers from gum trees and different gums have different flavours!

10:25 PM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

Well, I know some sailors who say Krupnik is like Polish girls - sweet but blows you off your feet :)

4:39 PM  
Blogger John J. Goddard said...

I was just thinking about Croatian medovina the other day. I tasted a really complex one made of chestnut honey from Samobor, near Zagreb. Amazing. It tastes even better when you get to meet the bees. I'll have to write about it soon.

Krupnik also sounds amazing. How does it get so strong? Usually fermented honey drinks stop at around 20%. Do you add wodka? Distill?

You have to take me on a Krupnik picnic with honey and cheese sandwiches on rye. We'll leave the napkins at home. ;)

5:08 PM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

John you must tell me more about medovina . I am sure the Mediterranean honey must be exploding with sun!
Truly, I have no idea how the original Krupnik is made to be so strong. Mine own honey liquer is not distilled but I suppose it may be some of my personal impact :)

PS. Let me at least pretend that I forgot the napkins ;)

8:23 PM  
Blogger isa said...

Hey Gagatka and John - get a room! You make me blush with your innuendos ;-)))
I've heard of Krupnik but never tasted it, dommage!
LOL, I love the title of your post!!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

Isabella I think we are working on it :)
thanks for nice words as always!

10:30 AM  
Blogger simon said...

Merry Christmas ! by the way.. :o)

11:14 PM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

Thanks a lot Simon, but I will definitely be cooking something before Xmass, so you have to wait for my wishes :)

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home