18 November 2006

Travelling: Regensburg


















I've just come back from a very nice trip to Regensburg in the southern Germany (Bavaria region).
It's an old historical city with lots of wonderful architecture and cosy, narrow streets with cobbled stone. You feel like you went back some hundred years ago...


















Being Polish I just can't get used to seeing all this order and cleanness around every corner...









































As it's November they already make themselves ready for Xmass...






































Speaking of food, I was less impressed. Maybe it's just because I'm not the biggest fan of wurst (sausage), sauerkraut and beer. And these are lavish in Bavaria.
During one of the dinners in an old renovated seat of an ancient duke, now a stylish restaurant, we were served a pork steak in heavy mustard sauce, some fried potatoe cakes and brussels...



















Fortunately, I was offered a vegetarian option: a huge yeast dumpling on a bed of mushroom sauce. It was really aromatic and filling :)



















Of course, it didn't stop me at all from having this splendid dessert of cheesecake with vanilla icecream, whipped cream and hot raspberry coulis...
















And if you, like me, dislike heavy meat menu you might always opt for a chocolate treat :)

4 Comments:

Blogger John J. Goddard said...

Hello słodka Gagatka,

Jak się masz? Tęskniłem za tobą...

I'm pretty sure the dumpling is called knödl. It's like knedle, often made with potatoes and yesterday's bread, but without plums in the middle. My friend's mother makes them with stewed turkey and gravy. Very rich and yummy! I have never had it made with yeast, but I will try it.

A lot of people eat knödl in the north of Hrvatska, around Zagreb area. I think it came there from Austria a long time ago, but I don't know for sure. Many people from around Zagreb have lived and worked in Germany, so there is a cross-breeding of cultures in the north.

I hope your entire vacation was as beautiful as the photos. Have you ever been to Dalmacija?

John
johnjgoddard.com

5:12 AM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

John I impressed by your knowledge of cooking... and Polish :)
You seem to be right about this knodl and to be honest I liked it very much...
Never been to Dalmatia so far, but I will have to make it up since it sounds there is a lot of luscious food and beautiful landscapes. I understand you might act as a professional guide of local pleasures ? :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger isa said...

Gagatka,
Was that a cheese strudel? It is pretty good but I still prefer the old fashioned polish sernik z rodzynkami. Mmmmm...
Tomorrow's Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie - YUK!

4:22 AM  
Blogger gagatka79 said...

Isabella Yes, that was gorgeous and meatless :) cheese strudel - creamy and fluffy as it might be. But I prefer our cheescakes too!
I hope you can make something tasty out of Thanksgiving, too...

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home